Monday, September 2, 2013

Marching to Nowhere - Part 1


Last week, I came across one of the most important recent links to come into my life. I was gobsmacked to find a trailer to a documentary featuring my high school band director, Gary Faust.



Which prompted me to share to my contacts, along with an ode to the man who inspired me to do so much.



The post read:

I have tears in my eyes. Very emotional to watch this video.
This is the man that told me I could achieve great things. The man who inspired me to work hard, to have a goal, and to focus on it. The man who was never eager but never afraid to tell me or another student a truth that might be difficult to hear. A compassionate person with a big heart, a musical brain, and unstoppable energy. A person who would push me harder than I ever thought possible. This is the man who would have amazing musical insights into phrasing, into shaping delicate passages of music, and then would personally vacuum the giant rehearsal hall that he helped design at the end of the day! Who does that?
To this day, I believe that the heart of my musical personality-making great music but also wanting to delight as many people as possible, all while inspiring people to come together to do great things-came to me directly from this great man. Grateful thanks to my high school band director, Mr.Gary Faust.
Gary, I wouldn't be the man I am today without your work. Work that started long before I ever came on the scene, up trough the many, many hours you invested in me. This even includes personally driving that stupid U-Haul full of percussion equipment to and from Austin on what should have been a relatively easy weekend at TSSEC for you,
just so NathanMatt, Kristine and I could live out our percussionist's fantasy..... I am so glad that you are being recognized, in this way, for the compassionate artist and genius educator that you are. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Gary Faust



No comments:

Post a Comment