Thursday, September 5, 2013

Last First Day

Peabody Conservatory
My last first day of school.

Sigh. I must admit, nothing fully prepared me for yesterday. My last first day of school. Ever. Yes, it is true to say that I likely will have coursework to complete after this year. I likely will have other first days of all kinds throughout my life. But this was the last first day of school for me as a full-time student enrolled in school where I will sit down at a desk, take notes, etc.

The first thing that comes to mind were perhaps the two most consequential first days prior to this one.

My first first day: Kindergarten

I remember well, the feeling of silent terror that filled me as I entered the classroom for the first time. I set directly across from Cody Lee, a child whom I would grow up, if not as best friends, certainly as well-known acquaintances, even to the present day. The child, however, was fiercely scary with his large, intense eyes and spiky hair. I quickly learned what to expect from an array of other children, each with unique traits and mannerisms.

My other first first day: College 

Thinking about both high school and college is fraught with challenges because the "first day" is a relative idea due to the early start caused by marching band. This was certainly the case with me. This first day was fantastically more adventuresome than just about any other. I had received my driver's license on the day prior, just in time to drive my belongings in the ancient Ford LTD wagon that my parents had purchased for me. Unfortunately, this was never to be. That vehicle made it 3/4 of the way there in the caravan comprised of my mother and I before the vehicle gave up the ghost while I was behind the wheel. She pulled over as we assessed the situation. We ended up moving all belongings to her vehicle, preparing to abandon my vehicle but this was only the beginning of our problems. For her car had also succumb to disrepair! We managed to strand both vehicles simultaneously.

I had a brand new, prepaid cell phone, the first in my family to own one. It had ten minutes of paid cal time and I had exactly one friend where we were headed who could pick me up and get me there. My mother and I managed to find a farm house where we received hospitable treatment from kind strangers who took my mother in while I was fortunately driven away by my friend who came to fetch me and take me to college in time to make a first rehearsal scheduled for that evening. My mother was later saved by my father, and they collectively and graciously moved my boxes into my freshman dorm room.

Yesterday was far less catastrophic but perhaps equally as challenging. But after 1,000 other harrowing tales collected since that time, I feel equipped to handle them all.  Here are just a few notes from last night's class. Perhaps there are a few gems buried within this morass.




Visit this note here:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s56/sh/ff402c28-0934-4a27-ae5a-e6f9abfe21c0/89953a7b96fdf856ca398439da13915f





No comments:

Post a Comment